It’s almost that time of year again. The time where gluttony and excess is not only acceptable, but it’s offensive if you don’t overdo it a bit.
Yes, it’s almost Thanksgiving that time of year when you get together with family, eat lots of food, and, if your family is anything like mine, get into arguments that have no real purpose but to let off steam about some bullshit that doesn’t really matter.
So, in preparation for the annual gorge-fest, you’ll need to go to the grocery store and stock up. Here’s what I’ll be making, and what I’ll need to stock for each individual item.
- The turkey itself obviously. You normally want at least 1 1/2 lbs per person, depending on how many leftovers you want. If you’re in my kitchen, 2 lbs per person is a minimum.
- Brown Sugar
- Sea Salt
- Chili Powder
- Fresh Cranberries
- Chicken Broth
- A large covered oval roaster
- Gizzards, neck, and other turkey innards
- 8 in square baking dish
- Potatoes, Yukon Golds are best for mashed potatoes, so get them if you can.
- Garlic, fresh garlic
- A potato masher
- A large pot
Green Bean Casserole
- French cut grean beans
- Swiss cheese
- Sour Cream
- Corn Flakes
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- They come in a can in my house, so just get that
- Pumpkin (you can get the canned, or make your own.)
- Whipped Cream
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Pie Plates
So that’s what goes on my table, and that’s only for my girlfriend and I. In the future, I’ll probably be cooking for more people, and thus will have to add more sides and more pies. But for this year, that’s enough.
I’ll be posting the recipes I use over the next week. I hope they lend you some inspiration in your Thanksgiving preparations.
Featured Image Credit: martha_chapa95